The holidays are a time when there are many new sights, smells and things to explore in your house – at least, that’s how the holidays seem to your pet! The holidays present many opportunities for your pet to get into trouble and potentially ingest things that could cause your pet harm. At this time of year, it’s important to maintain vigilance and protect your pet. By working with your pet’s vet in Lawrence, KS, you can keep your pet safe.
1. Protect Your Pet from Toxic Holiday Plants
There are a variety of plants that are associated with the holidays, and many of them are toxic to animals. Everything from poinsettias to mistletoe and holly – even your Christmas tree itself can be toxic to pets. There are many things you can do to protect your pet from toxic holiday plants:
- Keep plants up and away from your pet’s reach
- Use artificial plants instead of the real thing
- Use barriers (like a baby gate around your Christmas tree) to keep your pet away
2. Keep Tinsel and Other Shiny Objects Away From Your Pet
Tinsel and shiny objects (like wrapping paper) can be attractive toys to energetic pets. Keep tinsel and wrapping paper away from your pet. If ingested, these objects can cause an obstruction in your pet’s digestive system.
3. Know Which Holiday Foods Aren’t Safe
Some holiday foods – like chocolate – aren’t safe for pets. Some pets will try to grab food when it’s in their space, so keep holiday foods (especially foods that are unsafe to pets) away from your pet.
Keep Your Pet Safe With a Visit to the Vet
Get ready for the holidays! Bring your pet in for a pet check up in Lawrence KS.