Your pet can’t tell you with words when they are experiencing pain. In addition, some kinds of domesticated animals, such as cats, are known for doing their utmost to carry on, even though they’re actually in physical pain. As a loving pet owner, this is heartbreaking, since there are effective ways to get pet pain management in Lawrence, KS.
12 Signs That Your Pet May be in Pain
Thankfully, there are telltale signs that your pet may be in pain, even if they are trying to hide it. A vigilant pet owner can pick up signs such as:
- Avoiding being picked up or petted, even though they usually love to be physically affectionate
- Sudden snapping, growling, hissing, etc., that is out of character
- Excessive licking; licking is often a self-soothing behavior in cases of pain
- Insistent or excessive vocalization that is out of character
- Hiding or spending long periods of time out of sight
- Lack of interest in favorite toys or playtime activities
- Sitting for hours at a time in one position
- Unusual, “non-reaction” to stimuli that would have caused a reaction previously, such as another passing animal, a bird, etc.
- Excessive panting or labored breathing
- Increased heart rate
- Limping or favoring one leg over another
- Resistance to climbing stairs or jumping
Pet Pain Relief in Lawrence, KS
If you notice one or more of these symptoms in your pet, talk to your veterinarian. Your responsible Lawrence, KS vet has a range of pain relief options that can help your pet. They include:
- Physical therapy
- Laser therapy
- Herbal therapy
- Nutrition therapy
- Prescription pain medication
Your vet can tell you more about the various ways to manage pain in your pet. To book your appointment, please contact your Lawrence, KS, vet today.